Position Title: Clerk-Treasurer
Job Classification: Grade 4 FLSA
Supervisor: Administrator Supervisor
Responsibilities: Supervises Deputy Clerk
- Secretary for the Board of Trustees: attend all Board meetings; prepare the Board’s agenda: maintain and certify the public record of Board proceedings; publish all legal and public notices, proceedings, ordinances, and other items.
- Maintain Town Records: maintain central files of Town records in accordance with the state archival guidelines; maintain and revise Town Code books; maintain birth and death records for San Juan County in accordance with state guidelines.
- Municipal Elections: conduct municipal elections in accordance with the Colorado Municipal Election Code.
- Licensing: administer all Town licensing provisions as specified by Town Code and state statuses and regulations.
- Cash Receipts: receive all revenues to all funds; properly credit the revenues to the appropriate accounts; deposit receipts on a daily basis.
- Accounts Payable: receive all bills and claims for payment against the Town and process the same and authorized by the purchasing authority; assign account codes and issue all warrants in payment of approved bills.
- Accounts Receivable: bill all accounts receivable.
- Payroll and Benefits: administer all payroll and employee benefits and all associated reports and records.
- Warrants Paid: keep a register of all warrants redeemed and paid; properly account payments against accounts paid; keep and maintain a registry of all claims submitted for payment by the Town.
- Deposits and Investments: deposit all funds in one or more public depositories; ascertain that all deposit accounts are properly identified pursuant to the Public Deposit Protection Act; monitor and project cash flow needs to ascertain that the Town has adequate funds available to meet Town needs.
- Financial Records: maintain proper financial records of all transactions in accordance with generally accepted governmental accounting practices and procedures; render a detailed month account of the Treasury.
- Reports: prepare monthly reports to the Board which accurately document year-to-date and current monthly expenditures for all funds, including an expenditure comparison to budget line items and total departmental budgets; report to Board of Trustees, annually, by March 1st of each year, a full and detailed account of all receipts, expenditures, and other financial transactions for the prior fiscal year and publish the same in accordance with the state statute; complete and fill various reports as required by Town, State, or Federal government.
- Central Store: maintain central office supply facility to be properly stocked and in a neat and orderly condition.
- Other Duties and Responsibilities: carries out other duties and responsibilities as assigned or necessary for the proper conduct of Town business.
- High School Diploma or GED Certification plus five years of work experience in accounting, bookkeeping, public administration, municipal treasurer’s office, municipal clerk’s office, or similar and related experience. A college degree and schooling in accounting, public administration, business administration, or related field may substitute for experience at the rate of one year of schooling for one year of work experience.
- Ability and motivation to acquire Certified Municipal Clerk status in a reasonable period of time; knowledge and ability to manage the Town’s financial accounting system.
- Good computer skills and abilities, including data input and output, word processing, and spreadsheet work.
- Ability to work efficiently, effectively, and responsibly with elected/ appointed officials, employees, and the general public.
- Ability to access, transport, file, and retrieve Town records and documents as filed in the Town’s vault, filing cabinets, storage facilities, and computers.