Southern Ute Indian Tribe $67,244/year with benefits Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Ignacio, CO 81137.
Native American Preference; all applicants welcome.
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for the complete and accurate preparation of multi-state payroll, including paychecks, payroll tax filings, year-end reports, and other related payroll information in a timely manner, assuring consistency and adherence to federal regulations, and applicable state and local regulations, as well as policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides leadership and direction throughout the payroll process.
2. Ensures adherence to policies and procedures, both within the Payroll Office and throughout the organization. This includes adherence to both the Permanent Fund and Growth Fund policies and procedures.
3. Evaluates policies and procedures at least annually, recommending revisions as appropriate.
4. Oversees and guides the implementation of best practices throughout the Payroll Office.
5. Responds to requests from the Director of Financial Planning and Analysis, Chief Financial Officer, and Growth Fund Management in a timely manner.
6. Responsible for the personnel management of the Payroll Office to include recruitment, supervision, scheduling of assignments and leave, counseling, disciplinary actions, performance evaluations, training and skills development, and termination.
7. Oversees and actively participates in the payroll process, ensuring Personnel Actions are entered accurately, paychecks are printed and distributed as required, final checks are issued timely, and leave balances are updated.
8. Complies with IRS requirements and existing laws in the states where paychecks are issued; stays current with existing state laws as appropriate and as related to payroll administration and associated taxes, for multiple separate companies, and applicable states for each company.
9. Oversees and actively participates in payroll tax reporting for all applicable states related to multiple separate companies, ensuring completion in an accurate and timely manner, including monitoring changes in withholding and filing requirements; changes for existing locations; researches payroll-related items for new locations and communicates these changes to the Director of Financial Planning & Analysis, Chief Financial Officer, Growth Fund Management, and Human Resources Departments as applicable.
10. Reviews the Pay Sheet for accuracy and completeness.
11. Ensures that the final payroll calculation and confirmations are processed, and checks are distributed in a timely and accurate manner.
12. Responsible for testing and validating changes to the Payroll System.
13. Maintains security of check printer and ensures all payroll checks are logged.
14. Ensures the confidentiality of all payroll and payroll-related information.
15. Works cooperatively with the Human Resources Departments to ensure timely and accurate communications regarding payroll or employment issues; facilitates insertion of payroll stuffers; responds to requests from Human Resources Departments; provides timely final checks, and delivers timely information regarding verification of employment and other necessary information.
16. Partners with the Human Resources Departments to facilitate and encourage the use of direct deposit for paychecks or more sophisticated payroll and benefits systems.
17. Works cooperatively with SUSS to ensure upgrades, fixes, tax updates and other tasks that improve functionality for both Payroll and Human Resources departments are applied and administered.
18. Works with supervisors to resolve repeat payroll and time recording errors.
19. Prepares and verifies information reporting to administrators of the 401K plans.
20. Facilitates training for directors, division heads, and supervisors on the payroll and timekeeping function as needed.
21. Distributes approved payroll reports to approved recipients.
22. Oversees production, reconciliation, and distribution of W-2’s.
23. Participates in a positive, supportive, and team-oriented environment.
24. Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Must have a BA/BS in Accounting, Finance, Business or a closely related field OR a High School Diploma or Equivalent and 10 years of experience in an accounting position Must have 5 years of payroll experience, which must include at least 2 years of payroll processing for an organization with more than 100 employees. Must have 2 years of multi-state payroll (at least 2 states) for an organization with more than 100 employees. Must have 2 years of multi-state payroll (at least 2 states) tax filing with primary responsibility for filing payroll taxes in multiple states. Must have 3 years of supervisory experience. Must have computer experience in Microsoft Access and advanced skills in Microsoft Word and Excel. Must pass a thorough criminal history background check and pre-employment drug test.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Working knowledge of PeopleSoft Payroll and General Ledger modules. Certified Public Accountant Certificate. Payroll certifications.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to communicate clearly and accurately, orally and in written format. Ability to prepare reports, and present facts and information clearly and concisely.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide into all units of measure. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent. Must understand basic financial statistics and their computation and use.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to analyze issues, define problems, collect data, and draw well-reasoned conclusions. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Tribal Officials, Tribal staff, subordinate staff, managers, and the public. Ability to make decisions in a timely manner. Ability to work independently, with a minimum of supervision. Ability to maintain strict confidentiality, including the ability to recognize situations in which confidentiality is required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Position requires periods of standing, walking, bending, and long periods of sitting. Lifting a minimum of 10 pounds may be required. Work requires the use of computers with exposure to video display terminals, the need to work in front of a computer terminal for extended periods of time, and some repetitive motion associated with data entry and the use of a computer mouse. Adequate hearing is required to hear/talk with all individuals and to use telephones on a consistent basis.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed in an office setting with some exposure to environmental stress. The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderate. Communication with Tribal supervisors, Tribal employees, and the public on a frequent basis, including telephone as well as face-to-face interaction.