Editorial Page Editor
Ballantine Communications, a dynamic and respected family-owned media company headquartered in Durango, Colorado, has an immediate opening for an Editorial Page Editor. Ballantine Communications publishes The Durango Herald and The Journal in Montezuma County. Ballantine is a digital, creative company but with print as part of the solution.
This position oversees the Opinion sections for The Durango Herald and The Journal. The editor is a member of the editorial board, which includes the chairman and the CEO. This position manages the commentary page and together with the board to lead critical conversations important to Southwest Colorado.
The successful candidate will have at least seven years of experience in journalism or a related field with specific experience in opinion writing. A bachelor's degree in journalism is highly desired with preferred experience writing about local government, economic development, education and environmental issues. This person will be responsible for the editorial page's online presence through regular writing and leveraging of social media to engage readers and sources through digital publishing tools and applications.
The responsibilities of the Editorial Page Editor include, but are not limited to:
- Research and write editorials;
- Work with colleagues on the Editorial Board to generate topics and establish positions on emerging and ongoing issues;
- Research and analyze current issues and advocate editorial positions;
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of relevant policy and political issues at the local, state and national levels, as well as breaking news;
- Build and maintain relationships with local, state and federal elected and appointed officials;
- Attend public meetings on key issues;
- Interview public officials, candidates for public office, policy advocates and community members;
- Coordinate and facilitate monthly meetings with the public Editorial Advisory Board, which is comprised of community members who discuss relevant topics on state and local policies;
- Edit and prepare letters to the editor, guest and syndicated columns and editorial cartoons for publication; and
- Design print edition pages using NAVIGA content management system and Adobe InDesign.
The ideal candidate is a person who is skilled at understanding complex issues, passionate while debating issues with colleagues, and skilled at cultivating sources. Most importantly, we seek someone who is knowledgeable about and can engage readers by editorializing about issues in the communities we serve.
Please submit your resume with a cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications for this position along with recent writing samples to http://
Ballantine Communications provides comprehensive healthcare benefits, a 401K retirement plan, paid time-off, and competitive compensation commensurate with professional experience.